Legal help for flood-affected communities in NSW


Need free legal help?

Community legal centres help thousands of people every single day with a whole range of issues – housing, fines, family matters, domestic and family violence, and more.

Call Law Access on 1300 888 529 or use our online directory to find out who to speak to. 

Our thoughts go out to people, families and communities impacted by the recent, devastating floods that have destroyed and damaged homes, infrastructure, animals and ​properties across the state.

Community legal centres are working on the ground in flood-affected communities and can help with the many legal problems disasters cause, including with:

  • insurance claims
  • housing and tenancies
  • income and social security (including disaster relief payments)
  • credit and debt
  • family violence and family law
  • destroyed documents and wills

This page has information about how to contact community legal centres, other legal assistances services, and financial and emotional supports.


Where to find legal help

Find your local community legal centre operating on the ground

  • LawAccess NSW can help you find free legal help.
    Phone 1300 888 529 between 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.
  • The Community Legal Centres NSW directory will ask you a few questions and tell you which community legal centres may be able help you.
  • Disaster Response Legal Service NSW, Legal Aid NSW
    Phone: 1800 801 529 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday

    Legal Aid NSW can help with everyday legal problems including insurance claims and disputes, financial hardship, tenancy and Centrelink.


Community legal centres in areas affected by the 2021 flooding include: 

For women affected by natural disasters:


For tenants affected by flooding:

  • Tenants' Union of NSW
    Tenants’ Advice Line: 1800 251 101
  • Disaster damage for renters
    As a tenant you have rights. This factsheet is about damage to rental properties that are caused by storm, fire or flood, or other events you can't control (e.g. a car crashes into your home).


For people who need help with insurance:


For people who need help with social security issues:


For small businesses, farms and other primary producers affected by floods or other climate disasters: 


Legal Aid factsheets on climate disasters and legal issues:


Other support and resources


    Please note that Community Legal Centres NSW is a peak-body and cannot directly provide people with assistance for flood relief.